Episode 236: 10/15/2023
We began this show with some darkwave and industrial tracks from new releases. The second block was a set of goth, darkwave, deathrock, industrial, etc. tracks with a theme of curses, jinxes, hexes, etc., because last Friday was a Friday the 13th. The third set was block of synthwave, punk, darkwave, etc. with a theme of hexes, superstition, fortune, and good luck to help break the curse. The fourth and final set was a mix of goth, post-punk, and deathrock tracks.
- Half Machine Lip Moves Introduction [0:00:00 - 0:08:40]
- Vampire Police: Roxanne’s Nightie (Night of the Demos, 2023, Self-Released) [0:08:40 - 0:12:28]†
- Deep Cross: For Janus (Royal Water, 2023, Roman Numeral) [0:12:28 - 0:17:28]
- Autopsy Club: The Oracle (The Oracle, 2022, Self-Released) [0:17:28 - 0:22:21]
- Unitcode:Machine: Cold (Critical Fault, 2023, COP International) [0:22:21 - 0:27:13]
- 13th Chime: Cursed (The Singles: 1981-1983, 2009, Sacred Bones Records) [0:30:27 - 0:34:35]
- Asylum Party: Misfortune? (What Will You Learn, 1989, Lively Art) [0:34:35 - 0:38:02]
- Youth Code: For I Am Cursed (A Place to Stand, 2014, Dais Records) [0:38:02 - 0:42:51]
- Kentucky Vampires: Hex (The Kentucky Vampires, 2018, Self-Released/Secret Sin Records) [0:42:51 - 0:45:54]
- Phaidia: Jubaku (Curse) (Dancing Death, 1985, Ambilinks) [0:45:54 - 0:49:04]
- Peter & The Test Tube Babies: The Jinx (The Mating Sounds of South American Frogs, 1983, Trapper Records/Agressive Rockproduktionen/Dojo Limited/We Bite America/Captain Oi!/Let Them Eat Vinyl/Dr. Strange Record/Puke N Vomit Records) [0:49:04 - 0:52:24]
- Modern Creatures: The Curse (1981, 2006, Self-Released) [0:52:24 - 0:54:59]
- Dance With the Dead: Hex (Driven to Madness, 2022, Self-Released/Neuropa Records) [0:58:06 - 1:01:43]
- Leatherface: Not Superstitious (Mush, 1991, Roughneck Recording Company/Overseas Records/Seed Records/Fire Records/Call of the Void) [1:01:43 - 1:06:00]
- Dead Can Dance: Fortune (Dead Can Dance, 1984, 4AD) [1:06:00 - 1:09:41]
- Outer Space: Removing a Hex (Outer Space, 2010, Arbor/Self-Released) [1:09:41 - 1:14:10]
- Debby Friday: Good Luck (Good Luck, 2023, Sub Pop) [1:14:10 - 1:17:18]
- Oxbow: Lucky (Serenade in Red, 1996, Crippled Dick Hot Wax!/Pop Biz/SST Records/Ruminance) [1:17:18 - 1:21:57]
- Nervosas: Moral Panic (Nervosas, 2015, Dirtnap Records) [1:24:57 - 1:26:46]
- Altar de Fey: I See Demons (Echoes in the Corridor, 2016, Mass Media Records/Bat-Cave Productions) [1:26:46 - 1:31:09]
- 45 Grave: Slice O’ Life (Sleep in Safety, 1983, Frontier Records/Enigma/Restless Records/Real Gone Music) [1:31:09 - 1:37:11]
- Part 1: Pictures of Pain (Pictures of Pain, 1985, Pusmort/All the Madmen Records) [1:37:11 - 1:41:50]
- Funeral Parade: The Light (Funeral Parade, 2010, Self-Released/Voice From Inside/Mata La Musica Discos) [1:41:50 - 1:44:09]
- Mask For: Stolen Flowers (Mask For, 1986, Yellow Ltd.) [1:44:09 - 1:47:48]
- Parchment Prayer: The Clock (December 1985 Demo, 1985, Self-Released) [1:47:48 - 1:51:20]
† Local artist
DJ Death Mistress is DJing at the Freak Show Day Fest at Metal Mountain on Sunday, October 22. More information about this event can be found here. or on her blog.
Local darkwave artist Clusters of Fornication is opening for shoegaze legends [The Veldt] on Thursday, October 26th at EJ’s Eats & Drinks, at 523 Center Street in downtown Little Rock—which about a block or two from The Labyrinth. More info about the show can be found here.
EJ’s Eats and Drinks is at 523 Center Street in downtown Little Rock. Here’s a map with directions.
This month’s edition of Friday Night Frights is on Friday, October 27, 2023 and is a screening of Doctor Blood’s Coffin. More info can be found on this Facebook event page.
The Labyrinth is at 619 South Spring Street in downtown Little Rock. Here’s a map with directions:
The Dystopia Goth Night in Memphis is bringing Missfit Toys and Absynthe of Faith to Black Lodge Video on Friday, October 27, 2023. There will also be sets by DJ Graveyard Gloria and DJ St. Faust. More info and a link to buy tickets can be found on this Facebook event page.
Dark Hearts Fayetteville presents Baby Bats Halloween on Friday, October 27th, with DJ Death Mistress, at Dark Hearts Community, 3130 S. School Avenue in Fayetteville, AR. More info can be found on this Meetup.com post or at this post on DJ Death Mistress’s website.
Black Lodge Video in Memphis is doing their Halloween Masquerade Ball on October 28th. This will have sets by Jack Oblivion, The Sheiks, Turnstyles, Optic Sink, Joy Bomb, Little Baby Tendencies, plus DJ sets by DJ Graveyard (of the Dystopia Goth Night and Club Nevermore) and Selecter Jack. More info can be found on this Facebook event page.
Gloom Collective NWA presets Howl O’Ween at Black Apple, at 321 East Emma Avenue, in Springdale, on Saturday, October 28. This event will have a sets by DJ Death Mistress plus spooky vendors, tarot readings, a costume contest, and more! Further details can be found on this Meetup post, or this blog post on DJ Death Mistress’s website.
Claudio Simonetti’s Goblin is performing the score from Dario Argento’s Demons at The Hall, at 721 W. 9th Street in downtown Little Rock.. Further details and a link to buy tickets can be found on The Hall’s website.
The Hall is at 721 West Seventh Street in downtown Little Rock—it’s about two blocks southeast of Vino’s. Here’s a map with directions.
The next Club Nevermore event is Saturday, November 11th. From their event description:
“Crawl out from your crypt for a feast for your ears with all the best creepy Goth+Industrial tracks and feed your hunger for our gourd and savior with a wicked Pumpkin Pie Eating Contest! Contest judging by our own Graveyard Gloria as your Pumpkin Domme, encouraging the noms! We will also bring back our creepy karaoke for 2 full hours this time! So be sure to sign up for your best screeching swan song on our website! As always, this is a members only 21+ event. Sign up to join the party at clubnevermore.com”