Episode 224: 5/21/2023: World Goth Day Edition
This is our 2023 World Goth Day Show, with an emphasis on world because we played goth, darkwave, post-punk, deathrock, etc. bands from all around the world, with an emphasis on lesser-known bands and a mix of recent and older tracks. Each block of the show featured bands/artists from a specific continent. (Sorry, but we left out Antarctica because we don’t know of any bands from there.) We started with Africa, then moved on to Asia, then Australia/New Zealand, and then Europe. The North American block consisted of tracks by bands/artists from Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean. Then we wrapped up the show with a set of bands from South America.
- No Friends of Harry: A Long Way From Home (One Came Running, 1987, Principal Records)
- The Awakening: The Dark Romantics (The Fourth Seal of Zeen, 2000, Intervention Arts)
- Retrieval: Waves (Sleep Cycle, 2017, Self-Released)
- Ankst: The Wicked (The Gothic Sounds of Nightbreed Volume 5 Compilation, 2009, Nightbreed Recordings)
- Taqbir: Sma3 [سمع] (Victory Belongs to Those Who Fight For a Right Cause, 2021, La Vida Es En Mus/A World Divided Records)
- Romo: Inside Belt Line (The Final Movement to the Silhouette, 2021, Maybe Mars)
- Skies of Ember: Crazy (The Last Train of Thought, 2011, Self-Released)
- Phaidia: Dancing Death (Dancing Death, 1985, Ambilinks)
- Names Are For Tombstones: Exasperated Machine (Phantoms, 2001, Self-Released)
- Quarter Life: Where You Are (Void (Discography 2019-2021), 2022, Hardcore Detonation/Warmroom Records)
- 群像 (Qúnxiàng/Group Portrait): 甜蜜的逃亡 [Tiánmì de Táowáng]/Sweet Escape] (低迷聚会/Dīmí Jùhuì [Slump Party], 2021, Pollux Music)
- Emmurée: Gray Note Freak Show (é [acute], 2012, Gray Note Record)
- Disjecta Membra: Rats (Achromaticia, 1997, Heartland Records/Bat-Cave Productions/Self-Released)
- Sea Lungs: Parlour Tricks (Parlour Tricks, 2023, Self-Released/Mantravision Productions)
- Buzz Kull: Fascination (Fascination, 2022, Avant!)
- Children’s Hour: I Know Where She Lies (Flesh, 1983, Flying Nun Records)
- Big Electric Cat: Paris Skyes (Dreams of a Mad King, 1994, Cleopatra)
- Mizar: Devojka Od Bronza (Mizar, 1988, Helidon/Lithium Records)
- Cyan Revue: The Unknown (Four Wounds, 1986, Yellow Ltd.)
- Smurno: More Derev (More Derev, 2021, Self-Released)
- Paraf: Praznik (Riječki Novi Val (Antologija) Compilation, 2008, Dallas Records)
- Paralisis Permanente: Nacidos Para Dominar (Singles Y Primeras Grabaciones, 1995, DRO/3 Cipreses)
- Neva: Louchald (Fausse Conscience, 1989, Self-Released/Darkside)
- Horror Vacui: Desperate Adelia (Return of the Empire, 2014, Horror Gore Pain Death Productions/Black Water/Legion of the Dead/Avant!)
- Opéra De Nuit: Invitation (Sourire De L’ombre, 1986, Self-Released)
- Ojos Solares: Valle de Las Animas (Austral, 2021, Self-Released)
- Ariel Maniki & The Black Halos: Supernova (Fractals, 2023, Self-Released/ANK Records/Deepland Records)
- Calaverx: Desaparece de Mí (Desaparece de Mí, 2023, Self-Released
- Guerra Fría: Afuera Está Lloviendo (De Los Recuerdos Y El Odio, 2022, Self-Released)
- Animal Rojo: On My Grave (Garden of Gloom, 2019, Self-Released)
- Vida Nocturna [Panama City, Panama]: A Mediaonoche (VN1, 2019, Self-Released)
- Cadaver Em Transe: Nós, Os Bastardos (Cadaver Em Transe, 2014, Nada Nada Discos)
- Lima 13: Nada Va a Cambiar (Los Sueños Mueren Primero, 1990, Unknown Label/Muki Records)
- Cardenales: Sangre y Sufriemiento (El Tiempo, 2004, TDV/GJ Records)
- Dead Roses Garden: Vingança (Vingança, 2018, Self-Released)
- Umbra: Ruido (El Miedo, 2021, Self-Released)
- Sombras: Lápida (Impermanencia, 2022, Self-Released/Casa Incendio)
This month’s Friday Night Frights is on May 26, at The Labyrinth. This month’s movie is a screening of Count Dracula’s Great Love. More info can be found on this Facebook event page
The NWA Gloom Collective is doing a goth night called Tanz Mit Mir on Saturday, May 27th, at Nomad’s Trailside in Fayetteville. More details can be found on this Facebook event page.
The next edition of the Dystopia Goth Night in Memphis is Saturday, May 27, 2023 at Black Lodge Video, at 405 N. Cleveland Ave. in Memphis. This one will feature sets by DJ Evonech and guest appearances by Club Nevermore’s DJ Graveyard Gloria and DJ Wilhelm. More info can be found at this Facebook event page.
Black Lodge Video is at 405 N. Cleveland Avenue in Memphis. A map with directions is below.
The June edition of Club Nevermore, Central Arkansas’s monthly goth-industrial event, is happening on Saturday, June 10th. This one’s Rocky Horror Picture Show-themed. This will have DJ sets by DJ 10.29, DJ Graveyard Gloria, DJ Operator OT, and DJ Wilhelm, plus a performance by Jezebelle Jaxxx. This is at The Labyrinth, 619 S. Spring St., Little Rock. More info can be found at this Facebook event.
The Labyrinth is at 619 South Spring St. in downtown Little Rock. We’re including a map with directions below.