Episode 172: 1/30/2022
We talked about doing a show in which we’d commemorate the thirtieth anniversay of the Soviet Union’s dissolution by playing artists from Russia and former Soviet countries, and it’s here after a month’s delay. We began the show with a set of Soviet Russian synthpop tracks. That was followed with a mix of punk, new wave, and post-punk tracks that were recorded during the Soviet Era. That was followed with a set of recently-released darkwave and post-punk tracks. The fourth block was a set of goth-adjacent post-punk and darkwave tracks that also came out fairly recently. The fifth block was a set of avant garde and experimental tracks from Russia, and we closed the show with a set of dark ambient tracks.
Notes: I (Operator OT) can read Cyrillic but I don’t speak or understand Russian, Ukrainian, etc. I have transliterated the names and titles of artists, songs, releases, etc. to the Latin alphabet. I have included English translations of song titles when possible.
- Introduction [0:00:00 - 0:08:03]
- Biokonstruktor: Teleturizm (Teletourism) (Tantsy Po Video, 1987, Self-Released/ZeKo Records/Maschina Records) [0:08:03 - 0:11:54]
- Olga Voskan’yan: Golubaya Zvezda (Blue Star) (Avtomobil, 2018, Maschina Records/Electric Records) [0:11:54 - 0:16:10]
- Al’yans: Falstart (False Start) (NRG/Al’yans Split, 1991, Melodiya) [0:16:10 - 0:22:01]
- BIO: EBM (Tekhnoromantiki, 1990, Self-Released/Electric Records/ScentAir Records/Winter Solstice) [0:22:01 - 0:28:31]
- Пropeller: Helinälg (Sound Hunger) (Пropeller, 1995, Fugata) [0:30:57 - 0:34:24]
- Retsepti: Nu Matkueb (Don’t Lie to Me) (Anthology of Georgian Underground. Tblisi, 1987-1992, 2006, Supreme Echo) [0:34:24 - 0:37:45]
- Instruktsiya Po Vyzhivaniyu: Afganskiy Sindrom (Afghan Syndrome) (Konfrontatsiya V Moskvye, 2002, Neuro Empire/Bull Terrier Records) [0:37:45 - 0:40:08]
- Kino: Khochu Peremen (I Want Changes) (Posledniy Geroi/Le Dernier Des Héros, 1989, Off the Track Records/Russian Disc/Moroz Records/Kapriz) [0:40:08 - 0:44:57]
- Klass: Dom Na Ulitsye Drugoi (House On the Other Street) (Класс/Klass, 1989, Melodiya/TAU Produkt) [0:44:57 - 0:48:58]
- Durnoye Vliyaniye: Seichas (Now) (Nepodvizhnost, 2003, Karma Mira Records/Sharapov Sound System/VDV Records) [0:48:58 - 0:52:14]
- Akvarium/Aqarium: Pepel (Ashes) (Tabu, 1982, Self-Released/Triariy/Soyuz/Moroz Records) [0:52:14 - 0:55:21]
- Sexual Purity: In the Ocean (Suffer | Hope, 2021, Self-Released) [1:03:08 - 1:06:57]
- Bedless Bones: Realign and Reign (Bending the Iron Bough, 2021, Cold Transmission Music) [1:06:57 - 1:10:39]
- Icy Men: Polupustye Avtobusy (Uninhabited Busses) (Low Light, 2020, Cold Transmission Music) [1:10:39 - 1:14:35]
- Molchat Doma: Nebesa I Ad (Heaven and Hell) (What is This That Stands Before Me? Compilation, 2020, Sacred Bones Records) [1:14:35 - 1:20:03]
- Weed & Dolphins: Pussy Money Weed (Pussy Money Weed, 2021, Self-Released) [1:20:03 - 1:23:23]
- Smurno: Sklo (Glass) (Sklo, 2021, Self-Released) [1:28:05 - 1:31:26]
- No Man Cry: Losing Moon (First Light, 2021, Self-Released) [1:31:26 - 1:33:47]
- End of Electronics/Konets Elektroniki: Voskhod (The Rise) (Voskhod/The Rise, 2021, Sierpien Records) [1:33:47 - 1:38:00]
- Ploho: Prosti (Forgive Me) (Fantomnye Chuvstva/Phantom Feelings, 2021, Artoffact Records) [1:38:00 - 1:41:23]
- Morwan: Zola-Zemlya (Ash-Earth) (Zola-Zemlya, 2021, Sierpien Records/Reclusion Records/Death Shadow Records/Feel It Records) [1:41:23 - 1:46:40]
- Sofia Gubaidulina: Vivente-Non Vivente (Muzykal’noye Prinosheniye (Music Offering) Compilation, 1990, Melodiya/Modern Silence) [1:52:15 - 2:02:57]
- Alfred Schnittke: Stream (Muzykal’noye Prinosheniye (Music Offering) Compilation, 1990, Melodiya/Modern Silence) [2:02:57 - 2:08:50]
- Eduard Artemyev: Meditatsiya (Meditation) (Stalker/The Mirror – Music from Andrei Tarkovsky’s Motion Pictures, 2013, Mirumir) [2:08:50 - 2:14:05]
- Alphaxone & ProtoU: Quantum Zero (Back to Beyond, 2021, Cryo Chamber) [2:19:47 - 2:29:03]
- Ugasanie: Cold Coast (Freedom and Loneliness, 2020, Cryo Chamber) [2:29:03 - 2:32:25]
- Dronny Darko & ProtoU: Astral Winds (Metta, 2020, Cryo Chamber) [2:32:25 - 2:42:18]
Club Nevermore’s next event, Matters of the heart is Saturday, February 12, 2022 at Area 51, located at 6511 Warden Road in Sherwood, Arkansas. This event will have DJ sets from DJ 10.29, DJ Graveyard Gloria, DJ Wilhelm, and DJ Operator OT, plus a live show by Little Rock’s Illusionaut. Doors open at 8 PM, cover is $10. Consult this Facebook event page for further info.
I (Operator OT) don’t necessarily condone taking the directions to Area 51 that Google provides—Google’s directions might get you stuck in an alley without an easy way out. This is what I advise…
For those travelling from Little Rock, take I-30 north to I-40 East, then turn onto Highway 67/167 North. Take Exit 4, Brockington Road. Get in the left lane and go north till you reach the traffic light at Brookswood Road. Turn left and go south for two blocks to Warden Road, which is a one-way road (and the access road for Highway 67/167 South). Turn right onto Warden Road and go south for about half a mile. Area 51 will be in the strip mall on the right, between a car dealership and a Waffle House. Enter Area 51 by going into Alibis Bar, which does the admissions for Area 51.
For those travelling from North Little Rock, get on JFK Boulevard and go north till you reach East Kiehl Avenue. Turn right and go east, following the signs directing drivers to Highway 67/167 South, which will turn right onto Warden Road.
Or use the embedded Google Map below to find directions.