Episode 169: HMLM 2021 Holiday HellShow (12/19/2021)
We began our fifth holiday show with a warmup set, then we played a set of tracks about Christmas Creatures/Anti-heroes such as Belsnickel, Krampus, Grýla, and the Icelandic Yule Cat. We followed that with a set of dark and twisted holiday songs. Then things took a dark and somber turn in the fourth block. We played a set of yule and winter-themed metal tracks in the fifth block, in honor of winter solstice. Then we wrapped up the show with a mix of tracks. We hope your holiday is a good one—and if you don’t celebrate Christmas then we hope you have a good Friday and Saturday! (And joyous Kwanzaa to all who celebrate it!)
Note: the show may go on a brief holiday break after this week. We’ll post an update here to let you know.
- Half Machine Lip Moves Introduction [0:00:00]
- Martin Atkins & The Chicago Industrial League: The Spirit of Christmas (An Industrial Christmas Carol, 1995, Invisible) [0:08:28]
- Happy Fangs: All I Want For Christmas is Halloween (All I Want For Christmas is Halloween, 2013, Self-Released) [0:17:30]
- Life… But How to Live It?: Christmastime (Life… But How to Live It?, 1989, X-Port Plater/Boss Tuneage) [0:20:29]
- Timothy Renner: Belsnickel (Belsnickel, 2018, Hand/Eye/Self-Released) [0:30:26]
- David Kelley: Hungry Yule Cat (Hungry Yule Cat, 2020, Oz Folk Lounge) [0:34:39]
- Björk Guðmundsdóttir: Jólakötturinn (Hvít Er Borg Og Bær Compilation, 1987, Hijóðaklettur/Smekkleysa) [0:37:20]
- Spellgrinder: Gryla (Gryla, 2021, Self-Released) [0:41:30]
- Valentine Wolfe: Krampusnacht (Krampusnacht, 2016, Self-Released) [0:44:16]
- Sapphic Musk: Krampus Bitch (Krampus Bitch/2 Bottoms (Don’t Make a Top), 2017, A64A Recordings/Self-Released) [0:47:01]
- The Creeping Terrors: Krampusnacht (Medusa Complex, 2020, Self-Released) [0:49:36]
- The Hot Buttered Elves: Le Fabulous Return of Le Pere Fouettard (Dark Jollies, 2000, Tape Hiss Recordings) [1:01:00]
- Nox Arcana: Coventry Carol (Winter’s Knight, 2005, Monolith Graphics) [1:04:46]
- The Valley Folk: On Christmas Day it Happened So (All Bells in Paradise, 1968, Topic Records) [1:08:06]
- Low: If You Were Born Today (Christmas, 1999, Tugboat/Chairkickers’ Music/Kranky/Sub Pop) [1:09:40]
- The Sharon Tate Experience/Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats): Christmas Killer (Christmas Killer/Blow Up the Christmas Tree, 2013, Rise Above Records) [1:14:21]
- Consortium of Genius: Winter Slay Ride (The FuMP, Volume 12: November - December 2008 Compilation, 2009, Fidim Interactive) [1:18:47]
- Gershon Kingsley: Theme From Silent Night, Bloody Night (Silent Night, Bloody Night, 1973) [1:27:15]
- Ennui: Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year (Jingle Funeral Bells) (Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year (Jingle Funeral Bells, 2013, Ennui Youtube Channel) [1:29:42]
- Culturcide: Depressed Christmas (Santa Claus Was My Lover/Depressed Christmas, 1986, Unknown Label) [1:32:40]
- Bacio Di Tosca: Red Water (Christmas Mourning) (Der Tod Und Das Mädchen, 2007, Caput Medusae Records) [1:35:09]
- Jesu: Christmas (Christmas, 2010, Avalanche Recordings/Robotic Empire) [1:42:03]
- Goldblade & Poly Styrene: City of Christmas Ghosts (City of Christmas Ghosts, 2008, Damaged Goods) [1:50:38]
- Jex Thoth: Son of Yule (Jex Thoth, 2008, I Hate Records/Darkness Shall Rise Productions) [2:00:41]
- November’s Doom: Winter Solstice (Amid Its Hallowed Mirth, 2008, Regress Records/Avantgarde Music/Dark Symphonies/Mazzar Records) [2:04:45]
- Samael: Winter Solstice (Exodus, 1998, Century Media/Metal Mind Records/Floga Records) [2:09:15]
- Murkryth: Ozark Winter (Ozark Winter, 2019, Self-Released) [2:12:45]†
- Darkthrone: The Pagan Winter (A Blaze in the Northern Sky, 1992, Peaceville/Caroline Records/Metal Mind Records) [2:17:31]
- London After Midnight: The Christmas Song (Oddities, 1998, Apocalyptic Vision/Metropolis) [2:28:02]
- Coil: Christmas is Now Drawing Near (North: Winter Solstice, 1998, Eskaton) [2:32:54]
- Terminal Gods: Driving Home For Christmas (Boundless/Driving Home For Christmas, 2015, Snowflakes Christmas Singles Club) [2:36:19]
- Night Birds: Less the Merrier (Born to Die in Suburbia, 2013, Grave Mistake Records/Taken By Surprise Records/Tankcrimes/Stressickness) [2:39:39]
- Admiral Sir Cloudsely Shovell: Blow Up the Xmas Tree (Blow Up the Christmas Tree/Christmas Killer, 2013, Rise Above Records) [2:42:38]
- Impact: Punk Christmas (Punk Christmas, 1983, Cyanide Records/Antisociety) [2:45:14]
- The Showcase Showdown: Merry Christmas, I Fucked Your Snowman (Ho Ho Ho Chi Minh!/Merry Christmas, I Fucked Your Snowman, 1995, Tario Records) [2:48:03]
† Local artist
- Strange Familiars Episode 60: Belsnickel, The Christmas Wild Man.
- Also of possible interest: Strange Familiars Episode 22: Old Christmas Legends and Lore and Episode 136: Ghost Stories for Christmas. Interesting stories about folklore and legends connected to “Old Christmas Day.”
- “What is Frau Perchta” at GermanGirlinAmerica.com. Very interesting article on the German legend of Frau Perchta.
- “The Icelandic Legend of Jólakötturinn, A Giant ‘Yule Cat’ Who Stalks Those Without New Clothes at Christmas”
- “The Icelandic Yule Lads and Grýla: Iceland’s Christmas Trolls”. Article on the Icelandic Yule Lads and their mother, Grýla.
- Grýla and Leppalúði: The Parents of the Icelandic Yule Lads. Article on Grýla, the Icelandic troll-witch, and her husband Leppalúði.
- Le Père Fouettard: The French Christmas Cannibal Who Serves Santa Claus. Article on Le Père Foeuttard, the Santa/St. Nick’s French Cannibal Christmas Servant.
Club Nevermore and Bragi events are presenting New Year’s Noir: Dark Dance Party at Area 51, 6511 Warden Road in Sherwood, on Friday, December 31, 2021. Tickets are $15 advance purchase online, $20 at the door. Ages 21+ only. Spinning goth, industrial, EBM, synthpop, all night! There is also an after party. They are serving till 5 AM with champagne toast at midnight and drink specials. Further info is available at https://www.facebook.com/events/960191001576434/.
I (Operator OT) don’t necessarily condone taking the directions to Area 51 that Google provides—Google’s directions might get you stuck in an alley without an easy way out. This is what I advise…
For those travelling from Little Rock, take I-30 north to I-40 East, then turn onto Highway 67/167 North. Take Exit 4, Brockington Road. Get in the left lane and go north till you reach the traffic light at Brookswood Road. Turn left and go south for two blocks to Warden Road, which is a one-way road (and the access road for Highway 67/167 South). Turn right onto Warden Road and go south for about half a mile. Area 51 will be in the strip mall on the right, between a car dealership and a Waffle House. Enter Area 51 by going into Alibis Bar, which does the admissions for Area 51.
For those travelling from North Little Rock, get on JFK Boulevard and go north till you reach East Kiehl Avenue. Turn right and go east, following the signs directing drivers to Highway 67/167 South, which will turn right onto Warden Road.
Or use the embedded Google Map below to find directions.